Brewcaster

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Twitter and I don't hang out anymore

I deleted my Twitter account a few months ago. I can say it has been one of the best decisions I have made for myself. For those of you who don't know what Twitter is, you will, or someone close to you will make it known to you.

Twitter became what some might call an obsession. As you follow more and more people, you must devote more and more time reading what mostly works out to be tripe and/or self serving advertising. I always had the nagging feeling when I tried not to keep up with it, "What if I miss out on something important?!?!?" Never happened.

I am curious about some of the folks I followed on there. They wrote tons of Tweets, and seemed to read each and every one sent to them. These are people with day jobs, spouses, kids etc. Does their family just accept seeing them stare at their PDA or cellphone every 5 minutes? My friend Julian pointed out that people seem to use it as a public IM system. That is insane. IM is meant to be private, and I have systems for using IM already.

Those crazy kids and their new-fangled technology fads.*

Before Twitter, I thought the term internet addiction was a buzzword myth; I was wrong.

*Shout out to John C. Dvorak

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason McArthur said...

I agree!

A slightly nsfw summary of twitter

6/08/2008 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home