Brewcaster

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

State

OK so our apartment is pretty small.

How small?

small.

We knew we would be downsizing our living space, but this was a little more than we expected. BUT, it will work. The location is worth the price and small space. We are still excited.

The dogs are an issue right now. They have been through a lot of confusing things in the past week. Driving 12 hours a day for three days. Staying in strange hotels. Sleeping in strange beds.
They can't be left alone right now. We tried yesterday and the howling that proceeded made the whole neighborhood turn and stare. Daisy is the problem child. She really has emotional issues and we knew that. On the last day of driving she freaked out. She started yelling at the top of her lungs. For no reason at all. We stopped at a rest area and she was fine, wagging her tail, running around. I think she had just had about enough of all this chnage.
We are hoping that the arrival of a familiar bed, couch and chairs will help the dogs realize that they are safe and at a new home. But only time will tell. I am pretty stressed about this. But again we do have a lot of time before both of us would start working(Sept.) If you have any advice for dogs with separation anxiety, please do share.

Other than that, Melissa is at another interview now. I am at a coffee shop just a block away from the apartment. Ordering internet today. The free city-wide MetroFi, is a joke. I had read bad reviews of it, but had high hopes. I occasionally can see the signal, but never have once been able to get on it. And with cable internet costing about $50 a month, EVERYONE has theirs locked down.

So this is city living. WAY DIFFERENT than anything I have experienced. My initial response internally was, "what the hell am I doing?" I gave up an extremely confortable lifestyle for all this? But then I think harder about it. Change is scary. We needed this change. With comfort came lazyness and a boredom with life. Sure it would have been easy to coast out the rest of my years in Oklahoma. But looking back on those years we would have regretted the oppurtunities we passed up. I was not ready to "retire" at the age of 29. And that would have been what would happen. We would have continued to work, sleep, watch tv. That was no longer satisfying for us. Thus the change. I am taking all this as another exciting challenge. One that will reward us each day. If nothing else the weather and pine scent in the air will be enough. Plus, did I mention the beer here? Yummm.

Sorry for the ramble, but lots on my mind, I have nowhere gotten close to expressing it correctly, but I tried.

Oh, did I mention there are no mosquitos here? none.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude,

guinness gets separation anxiety quite quickly. i've found that the quickest cure is tons of exercise. he seems to be satiated after a while and chills out. i've also heard good things about crating the animals. this is easier if you've already trained them for the crate. the crates help dogs feel safe and can easily take to it as a familiar setting. hope daisy gets over it. i know how stressful that can be.

7/11/2007 5:20 AM  
Blogger beau said...

congrats on the move. the adjustment takes time. i would say, however, not to cast the oklahoma life in too much of a negative light, only because its very possible that you will find the time is right to go back someday and you want to have good feelings about it. i only say this from experience. sometimes we've talked about moving back to oklahoma at some point and its easy to think of it as a resignation. that being said i know exactly what you're talking about. just dive into it head first and you'll know soon enough whats right for you. i'm gonna come visit!

7/12/2007 2:22 PM  
Blogger l.c.r. said...

I know exactly what you mean about the whole "What the hell am I doing here?!" thing. I still find myself asking the same thing after almost an entire year in France. Completely changing your surroundings can cause a lot of stress and self-doubt, but it's so worth it in the end. No regrets, right? :-)

7/13/2007 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home